Winter can be a tough season for keeping on top of your fitness goals. Luckily, there are plenty of great ways to stay active and get into shape at home this season. Whether your goal was to end the year with a bang or get started and conquer your fitness goals in the New Year, don’t let the cold, winter weather prevent you from succeeding.
The Benefits Of Staying Active This Winter
- Prevent yourself from contracting the flu and cold by strengthening your body’s immune system.
- Reduce setbacks, and maximize your fitness goals throughout the entire year.
- Avoid seasonal depression, and boost your mood and sense of well-being with endorphins.
- Decrease your cravings for comfort food, especially during the holidays.
Here are three practical tips to help you work out at home:
1. Create A Home Gym Space
You don’t need much––it all depends on your goals. Simply get your home gym set up and get going.
- Free Weights – Add dumbbells to home workout. NordicTrack’s SpeedWeight Adjustable Dumbbells offer a range of light weight to heavy weights, from 2.5 lb up to 12.5 lb––giving you the ability to endure a high-rep, endurance workout or a strength training, muscle-building workout. You choose!
- Yoga – Yoga doesn’t require too much space, so a simple yoga mat will do. Keep your body strong and flexible, and your mind calm this winter season. Again, all you need is some floor space and products such as a yoga grip block to provide assistance for a deep stretch.
- Cardio Equipment – Traditional workouts on a treadmill or other cardio options such as a stationary bike, elliptical, or rowing machine can easily be brought to the comfort of your own home. These options are affordable and convenient to have in your living space. Try to choose an option that you will be motivated to use consistently.
- Recovery – Finish your workout with dynamic stretching and a massage. Percussion Massager is a great tool to end each workout with in order to decrease muscle soreness, decrease lactic acid buildup, improve blood flow, and increase range of motion.
2. Become Part Of A Fitness Community
Without even having to take a step out of the front door, you can find a community to support yourself through your fitness journey.
- Family – Asking family and friends to support you and help you accomplish your fitness goals can be a powerful way to stay active and healthy during the winter.
- Workout Partner – Having a partner to workout with can be very motivating and fun. A workout partner can help prevent you from canceling your workouts as often, as well as providing you with a little friendly competition.
- iFit® Community – Join this comprehensive interactive and supportive community with members all over the world that provides a variety of workouts and reviews by those who have already accomplished them. In addition to great workout feedback from other iFit members, immerse yourself in recipe ideas, health tips, and even build friendships along the way.
For instance, check out iFit member, Stephanie Rangel, as she shares her story about crushing her fitness goal by accomplishing John Peel’s Grand Canyon iFit workout series in one day, and exceeding her workout expectations with a new life-long friend, Diane Hood.
3. Explore Destination Workouts On iFit
Escape the winter months and explore sunny destinations all year long with iFit. Programs such as the cross-training series with Kirsty Godso in Hawaii, 10K training series with Tommy Rivers Puzey in the Balkans, and the train-to-terrain series with Hannah Eden in Bolivia. No matter how cold, rainy, even snowy it is outside where you live, you’ll be breaking a big sweat inside with iFIt.
Don’t let the winter months keep you from conquering the year ahead of you. Use these months to stay active, and once the summer months arrive, you’ll be well ahead of your summer body goals.